Energy & climate
Energy & Climate

Efficient in energy consumption & emissions

As a resources company, we operate many energy-intensive processes in the entire value chain, from extraction of  raw materials and production, to transportation of the finished product. In doing so, we implement effective energy management and use the best technologies on the market. By continuously optimizing our logistics processes worldwide, we help to reduce pollution caused by emissions.

Dr. Burkhard Lohr, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
In the future, simply increasing the energy efficiency of our production processes will no longer be enough. We want to be climate neutral by 2050. Our climate strategy is therefore an important element of the new corporate strategy.
Dr. Burkhard Lohr, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)

Our ambitious climate strategy

We want to continue to actively promote the energy transition and support the goals of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. For this purpose, we have introduced a climate protection fund. We intend to use this to finance measures to reduce emissions in order to achieve our mid-term targets. Specifically, we have set ourselves the goal of continuing to reduce our CO2 emissions by 10% by 2030 compared with 2020.

We have already significantly reduced our direct CO2 emissions over the last three decades through the extensive deployment of highly efficient combined heat and power (CHP) technology and the associated switch from coal to natural gas, as well as extensive energy efficiency measures and capacity reductions. We are convinced that climate neutrality can be achieved by 2050. For K+S, this goal is very challenging and can only be reached under certain conditions. This urgently requires improvements in the energy industry and energy policy on the part of politicians. After all, energy must remain affordable for everyone and its price must not have a negative impact on our international competitiveness.

Overview Goals Climate Strategy
Short-term, mid-term and long-term commitment of K+S Climate Strategy

Making energy efficient

Our energy management system contributes to more efficient use of the sources of energy used, and continuous optimization of the Group's energy costs. We operate a DIN EN ISO 50001 certified energy-management system at all of our German companies with production sites. We regularly conduct energy audits in accordance with DIN EN ISO 16247 at all other German companies. A Group-wide concept for energy management is being developed and the introduction of ISO 50001 at our sites outside Germany has begun.

The energy sources used differ depending on the location of the mines and production facilities. 86 percent of the steam and power generation in Germany uses natural gas as the primary energy source, the remaining 14 percent is from energy generated by an incineration plant. Five German potashproducing sites had their own highly efficient power plants, which are operated on the principle of combined heat and power (CHP). They operate at 90 percent efficiency. We also operate two out of seven drying facilities using the CHP system.

Due to the use of solution mining as an extraction method at our new mine in Bethune, Canada, as well as the continuing expansion of the other underground raw material mining areas, and the higher energy costs this entails, we anticipate increasing specific demand for primary energy.

Optimizing logistics processes

Our international logistics network ensures a smooth flow in the supply chain and transports our products to our customers all over the world on time and with the lowest possible environmental impact. Global transporation chains are managed holistically and regularly optimized to ensure a high level of efficiency. The resulting transportation routes are designed to be as short as possible in order to further reduce the impact on the environment. Logistics experts at many locations around the world, work closely with our service providers to optimally align their services with our customers’ requirements.

In the field of Energy & Climate we have set ourselves ambitious targets for 2030:

  • We will reduce our absolute CO2 emissions in the K+S Group worldwide by 10 percent by 2030.

  • By 2030, we aim to reduce specific greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) in logistics operations by 10 percent.

More topics

This might also interest you