Efficient in energy consumption & emissions
As a resources company, we operate many energy-intensive processes in the entire value chain, from extraction of raw materials and production, to transportation of the finished product. In doing so, we implement effective energy management and use the best technologies on the market. By continuously optimizing our logistics processes worldwide, we help to reduce pollution caused by emissions.
In the future, simply increasing the energy efficiency of our production processes will no longer be enough. We want to be climate neutral by 2050. Our climate strategy is therefore an important element of the new corporate strategy.
Our ambitious climate strategy
Since 1990, we have already reduced our CO2 emissions by 80% — a major effort for an energy-intensive company. We want to continue to actively promote the energy transition. By 2030, our goal is to reduce our CO2 emissions by 10% compared with 2020.
Moreover, we support the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change. We are convinced that climate neutrality can be achieved by 2050. This requires urgent improvements on the part of policy makers in the energy industry and energy policy. After all, energy must remain affordable for everyone.
Making energy efficient
Our energy management system contributes to more efficient use of the sources of energy used, and continuous optimization of the Group's energy costs. We operate a DIN EN ISO 50001 certified energy-management system at all of our German companies with production sites. We regularly conduct energy audits in accordance with DIN EN ISO 16247 at all other German companies. A Group-wide concept for energy management is being developed and the introduction of ISO 50001 at our sites outside Germany has begun.
The energy sources used differ depending on the location of the mines and production facilities. 85 percent of the steam and power generation in Germany uses natural gas as the primary energy source, the remaining 15 percent is from energy generated by an incineration plant. Six of our seven German potash plants have their own power stations, which operate in accordance with the cogeneration system (CHP). They operate at 90 percent efficiency. We also operate two out of seven drying facilities using the CHP system.
Due to the use of solution mining as an extraction method at our new mine in Bethune, Canada, as well as the continuing expansion of the other underground raw material mining areas, and the higher energy costs this entails, we anticipate increasing specific demand for primary energy.
Optimizing logistics processes
Our international logistics network ensures a smooth flow in the supply chain and transports our products to our customers all over the world on time and with the lowest possible environmental impact. Global transporation chains are managed holistically and regularly optimized to ensure a high level of efficiency. The resulting transportation routes are designed to be as short as possible in order to further reduce the impact on the environment. Logistics experts at many locations around the world, work closely with our service providers to optimally align their services with our customers’ requirements.
We will reduce our absolute CO2 emissions in the K+S Group worldwide by 10 percent by 2030.
By 2030, we aim to reduce specific greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) in logistics operations by 10 percent.