Reporting to the Superintendent, Health, Safety & Security the Health & Safety Specialist will provide expertise and support to operations and specifically projects by facilitating the identification of health and safety hazards and controls to eliminate or mitigate these risks. The Health and Safety Specialist develops, facilitates and oversees the implementation of specific procedures and processes to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as a proactive change agent to create an ownership based safety culture.
- Interface with operations and projects employees and contractors to ensure that Health and Safety standards are adhered to at the Bethune Mine Site.
- In the event of emergencies or equipment failures, act as a technical resource, as part of the responding team.
- Develop, review and implement safe work plans, ensuring company and employee exposure to risks are either eliminated or minimized.
- Conduct HS audits and inspect the application and effectiveness of policies, procedures and standards in the field. Develop audit and inspection recommendations and assist in the development of corrective action plans, in consultation with management and stakeholders.
- Lead, participate and review investigations of incidents and ensure effective investigations are conducted and corrective and preventative actions are applied.
- Assist and coach Contract Owners on requirements for contractor mobilization and management processes.
- Coach Contract Owners on the monitoring of health and safety practices and procedures.
- Assist in the development, implementation and facilitation of the HS training materials and programs.
- Maintain knowledge of current workplace safety strategies, trends and technologies.
- Coach, train and monitor health and safety related performance of the site.
We enrich your life
Good People and Great Culture
Have the opportunity to be part of a team committed to building a new and diverse culture. At KSPC we are growing our operations, delivering exciting new opportunities, and investing heavily in the communities where we live and work.
Challenge and Growth
We support your growth potential (support of professional development) and recognition of performance.
Our total target compensation is competitive and benchmarked to the market. We have a Pay for Performance philosophy that includes two components, fixed (base) pay and short term incentive (bonus) that rewards employees for their contributions towards corporate, team and individual successes.
A comprehensive, employer paid, benefits program which includes Life, Disability, Health and Dental as well as competitive Retirement benefits, Employee and Family Assistance Program PLUS great extras such as, paid work time to help out in your Community (volunteer with a sports team or a charity of your choice) and company money to allocate to your favourite charity! A Health Spending Account for extras, like more expensive glasses, and the Wellness Account covers recreational items, like your park camping fees, hunting or fishing license, and can help pay for your gym membership.
Our company values and recognizes the diversity of the workforce and encourages individuals with the equivalent combination of education and work experience. The ideal candidate will have:
- Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety or Construction Safety Officer
- 8+ years of applied work experience focusing in Health & Safety Management, preferably in a mining or industrial construction project environment.
- Extensive experience managing rigging, lifting and elevated work projects is essential.
- Experience in project management including developing work scopes for contractors and consultants
- Understanding of applicable health and safety regulations
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholder groups
- Understanding of the Mines regulations, OH&S Act/regulations and other applicable codes and standards
- Must be authorized to legally work in Canada
Employment is subject to successfully completing KSPC’s pre-employment checks which may include criminal record check, education verification, functional fitness evaluation and drug & alcohol testing.
To ensure consideration for this role, please apply by September 5, 2022.