Government Affairs Specialist, supports the implementation of strategic corporate objectives and programs that relate to government affairs. This position is also responsible for proactively researching government policies and regulations that could impact KSPC’s operations. The position will help formulate relationships with key government offices and will coordinate and participate in regulatory consultations, public stakeholder engagements, lobby efforts, and government incentive applications. The specialist also helps to inform KSPC representatives in industry association meetings and government bilateral meetings where lobbyist activities are undertaken on behalf of relevant industries (Mining, Fertilizer, Industrial Energy, Rail, Chambers of Commerce, etc.) and KSPC. This position supports KSPC’s other external relations functions including: Indigenous Relations, local community relations, media relations, external communications, and community investment.
The successful candidate will:
- Support the implementation of, and continually improve upon, the government relations strategy
- Support the implementation of the external relations strategy for ramp up including additional government relations strategy execution, coordination of stakeholder / rights-holder consultations, and supporting Indigenous relations strategy execution
- Develop sustained relationships with key government offices (primarily Provincially and Federally)
- Continuously build upon KSPC’s connections with elected and unelected officials, particularly through turnover and attrition in key government offices
- Represent KSPC in meetings with Industry Associations and unelected government officials
- Organize advocacy activities and presentations with KSPC leadership, industry associations, etc.
- Build upon KSPC’s reputation as a credible resource for the government’s industry consultations and proactive communications to government
- Proactively identify communicate key messaging related to issues and points of gratitude
- Identify, continually monitor, analyze, and present to management any new legislative and regulatory changes that may impact business operations
- Research legislation and regulations in other jurisdictions for comparative analysis (e.g., Canadian provincial, foreign national, and foreign state governments)
- Provide strategic analysis and advice on complex policy issues, including conducting research and drafting succinct briefings and infographics for internal and external stakeholders
- Research new and emerging clean technologies and related government funding opportunities
- Coordinate and submit funding application submissions and expressions of interest
- Prepare and deliver written materials and presentations (e.g., key messages for government affairs issues, legislative and regulatory submissions, comments, letters of support, reports, etc.)
- Participates in special projects, as assigned
Our company values and recognizes the diversity of the workforce and encourages individuals with the equivalent combination of education and work experience. The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in political science, public policy, public administration, or a related field
- 3-5 years of technical experience in policy, public administration, and/or government relations
- Candidate must be highly solutions-oriented with a propensity toward action
- Candidate must demonstrate strong critical thinking skills, with a long-view focus
- Candidate must have an aptitude for negotiation
Successful candidates may be entitled to relocation assistance.
Employment is subject to successfully completing KSPC’s pre-employment checks which may include criminal record check, education verification, functional fitness evaluation and drug & alcohol testing.
To ensure consideration for this role, please apply by May 29, 2022.
Your BenefitsBy living our common K+S values across all our locations in the world: We are optimistic about our future, we are collaborative in building it and with our entrepreneurial spirit, we aim to dig deeper and reach higher. We remain agile in an ever-changing world. We are innovative, turning obstacles into opportunities – and we do it all in ways that are safe and sustainable, protecting future generations. You can look forward to:
Good People and Great Culture
Have the opportunity to be part of a team committed to building a new and diverse culture. At KSPC we are growing our operations, delivering exciting new opportunities, and investing heavily in the communities where we live and work.
Challenge and Growth
We support your growth potential (support of professional development) and recognition of performance.
Our total target compensation is competitive and benchmarked to the market. We have a Pay for Performance philosophy that includes two components, fixed (base) pay and short term incentive (bonus) that rewards employees for their contributions towards corporate, team and individual successes.
A comprehensive, employer paid, benefits program which includes Life, Disability, Health and Dental as well as competitive Retirement benefits, Employee and Family Assistance Program PLUS great extras such as, paid work time to help out in your Community (volunteer with a sports team or a charity of your choice) and company money to allocate to your favourite charity! A Health Spending Account for extras, like more expensive glasses, and the Wellness Account covers recreational items, like your park camping fees, hunting or fishing license, and can help pay for your gym membership.
This is UsWe enrich life through the sustainable extraction and refinement of minerals to indispensable products and through our working environment, which is unique. Because it stands for everything that really matters in life: Trust, team spirit and meaningfulness for 11,000 employees at 50 locations on five continents. Welcome to K + S.
Be part of our team
Apply by 5/31/22