General Foreman, Mine Maintenance
A brief, specific statement of the purpose of the job and its major activities.
Reporting to the maintenance manager, the incumbent will be managing an experienced and professional team while coordinating with mill, mine, engineering, safety and procurement to ensure the safe and efficient production and shipment of required product(s) through the appropriate maintenance of Company assets. The general foreman (GF) develops and manages the maintenance and reliability strategy while supporting the objectives of the facility to achieve business goals. The GF develops and administers plant maintenance systems and philosophies, providing efficient and effective projects and maintenance services to the plant. He / she will monitor and manage contractors and employees to ensure compliance with regulations and corporate standards. The GF leads and supervises reliability and maintenance teams (Including performance evaluations, promoting career development, and coordinating technical duties).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A list of the principal functions of the job to include an action-oriented description of each activity along with the desired outcome against which some measurement of performance can be applied.
Health and Safety: Ensure that legislation and Company rules / regulations are built in and followed in all assignments and responsibilities. This includes auditing monthly housekeeping, safety meetings and investigations to ensure effectiveness. Leadership in safety may include JHSC Co-chair responsibilities.
Production: Monitor the activities and processes to ensure asset uptime to achieve the budgeted production rates. Adjust manpower and process streams to adjust for changes with supply and demand. Work on improvements that increase the efficiency of the mine site.
Financial: Required to have an understanding and accountability for costs associated with the underground maintenance operations. Identify cost savings opportunities.
Providing Technical Expertise: The incumbent will participate in the strategic plan development and together share the corporate vision of this mine. He / she will provide expertise in a technical field to the executive leadership team by identifying needs and making recommendations on the people and the process.
Human Resources: The leadership of the GF will be critical in the development and the efficiency of the team. As a strong leader, he / she will ensure that this team is focused on safety, quality, efficiency, professionalism and meeting expectations. The Weeks Island Mine has a major role within K+S Morton Salt Ltd, and provides directly to the profitability of the Company. Therefore, the coordination of the team and feedback on projects will have a direct impact on the Company’s growth and profitability.
Employee Relations / Culture: The incumbent will ensure consistent application of Company values and professionalism. Thorough knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and its proper application is vital to ensure fairness and consistency.
Environment / Quality: This position is responsible for maintaining product safety, legality and quality as per the corporate We CARE statement.
Key Performance Indicators:
The incumbent will be responsible for departmental key performance indicators such as
- Manhours scheduled
- Schedule compliance
- On condition work orders
- PM compliance
- Reactive maintenance
- Backlog management
- Defect elimination
- Availability and utilization
- Aligns with and understands the needs of the business and communicates goals to the maintenance organization.
- Owns and implements strategic directions for reliability and maintenance.
- Manages Morton Salt reliability and maintenance personnel.
- Adheres to Morton Salt MEWP and holds others to do the same.
- Maintains asset availability dashboard for morning huddle.
- Supervises outside contractors.
- Assists the maintenance manager in creating the maintenance annual budget (distributed maintenance, supplies maintenance, and outside contractors — maintenance) and helps manage maintenance costs.
- Create, implement and monitor work processes to achieve business objectives in terms of Operating Asset Utilization.
- Creates, implements and monitors work processes to achieve compliance to Mechanical integrity [OSHA 191O.119(i)], regulations, and corporate standards.
- Monitors metrics to identify continuous improvement needs and performance management issues.
- Ensures that the inventory in Stores is adequate and optimum to meet business needs.
- Conducts performance evaluations and salary administration for maintenance and reliability personnel.
- Actively supports employee and career development of direct reports.
- Determines the need for outside resources.
- Manages the 5S mentality of the maintenance workforce before, during, and after jobs.
- Ensures the shop areas are tidy and kept in good order.
- Participates in the Management Team; participates in or leads some initiatives on its behalf.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Specifies the general background required of a jobholder to be successful in the position by summarizing the qualifications and educational background necessary for satisfactory performance of the job. The items listed here should include specific references to the number of years of work experience in the applicable field, level of education desired, professional certifications and/or association affiliations required, technical skills, etc.
The maintenance general foreman directs the day to day operations of maintenance personnel underground.
The incumbent will work with managers across all departments.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Eight plus years mining experience
The work environment characteristics described here represent those that a jobholder would encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Mine Maintenance General Foreman is the leader of the shop and is responsible for all major decisions pertaining to the safe and efficient operation of the underground maintenance department. The incumbent will refer to the maintenance manager when special authorization is required on cost exceedances or other issues.
There are four foremen who directly report the GF and the rest of the trades fall under them. Performance reviews are the responsibility of the GF.
We Enrich Your LifeJob Description Summary
As directed, performs a variety of tasks from unskilled to skilled and is the labor pool from which additional or vacant bid jobs are filled on a daily, weekly or longer basis.
This is UsWe enrich life through the sustainable extraction and refinement of minerals to indispensable products and through our working environment, which is unique. Because it stands for everything that really matters in life: More trust, teamwork and meaningfulness for more than 14.000 employees in over 90 locations on five continents. Welcome to K+S.
Be part of our team
Apply by 4/30/21